today I just released v0.8 of my city generator.
As I explained in more detail before, I rewrote it as a collection of three Blender addons.
Here is the list of the new features I added
- rewritten as a pure Blender addon for the best runtime stability and integration into Blender. So the circle is complete ;)
- separated into three addons: SceneCity, SceneTerrain, SceneSkies
- so it's now possible to use the skies, the terrain generator, and the city generator independently
- terrain mesh resolution setting restored
- free version of SceneSkies available. Full version not available alone, but bundled with SceneCity
- terrain generation improved with shape presets: eroded mountains, eroded craters, mountain chains
- terrain generation can be from a user-defined texture
- terrain can be exported as RAW and standard grayscale image
- more HDR skies added for a total of 10
- cities no longer require the center of the terrain to be flat, generator will try to build where there's space available
- improved water shader for the lakes and seas: looks more realistic
- removed space character from all included textures and models files, for easier support on Linux
SceneSkies free download!
On the road to offering a free version of SceneCity to everyone, I proudly present you the free version of SceneSkies, one of the three addons that make SceneCity.
I found it surprising how close Andrew Price and I released the same kind of addon, at the same time. Funny timing! But we offer different skies: he apparently is using photographs of real skies, I take the CG skies route. I must admit his addon, Pro Lighting: Skies, contains way more skies than SceneSkies: 80 vs 10, but SceneSkies' are really different from each other, and also more dramatic looking with god rays, and a bonus sky with epic monstruous clouds(!) SceneSkies supports Blender Internal. I'll also add many more in the next versions. Anyway his addon looks really cool too! In the end there is no better choice, only more choice, so it's a good thing for every Blender user ;)
You probably noticed there is no new feature for the buildings and roads, disappointing for a city generator isn't it. Well rest assured, now that the terrain and skies are pretty robust, it's time for the next version 0.9 to be exclusively for the buildings and the roads. Cool things are on the menu. Check below
- restore building generation (node-based?)
- allow use of user-made buildings, roads and materials
- material generation and randomization
- free version
- OSM support
- bring back night time
- objects population on the terrain: trees, grass, rocks etc...
- performance: add option to use dupliverts for objects placement
- add option to build city as single mesh
- allow packing of city in .blend file (eg for rendering on farms)
- additional road placement algorithm that will fill the whole terrain
This is not a list of planned features, only the things I'm considering. You'll be notified as I add new features during the development of the next version, to be released in three months, in October.